Ooey Gooey Cheesy Goodness
We are a family of five. A family of five means five different food preferences, eating habits and attitudes. Finding a food that fits everyone’s ‘yes’ list can at times be tricky. With the help of Dempster’s, over the next few months we’ve decided to go on a #breadventure. By creating meals that highlight easy family-friendly recipes, by incorporating the nutrition of Dempster’s, it’s an adventure we can’t wait to take.
One food we all agree on is cheese. Be it in within a meal or as the star, we’re all on board. For us all, cheese is comfort. Melted and paired with the right Dempster’s bread – it is a family favourite. In celebration of National Grilled Cheese Day April 12th, I’ve collaborated with Dempster’s to share my must try grilled cheese recipes.
The first recipe is all about bringing together the 3 foods my boys love the most – bacon, mac & cheese and bagels. Named, ‘The Buoy,’ the bagel becomes a haven to ooey gooey bacon macaroni & cheese layered between a variety of different cheeses. Once lightly pan fried, it’s satisfying and satiating. Be it on it’s own or dipped in ketchup – all three boys adore it.
It’s a simple recipe that focuses on flavour and ease.
What you need:
- Your favourite Dempster’s Bagels
- 2 or more of your favourite kinds of cheese
- Bacon bits
- 1/4 cup of macaroni & cheese
- A smidge of butter
- Cooking spray
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Spray the cooking spray in your frying pan. Drop a small bit of butter in the center of the pan and put it over medium heat. While the pan is heating up, cut open your bagel.
- Mix together the macaroni and cheese with the bacon bits. Set it aside.
- Layer your first cheese of choice on one half of the bagel then add your second cheese of choice.
- Add the bacon macaroni & cheese to be the middle ingredient of your sandwich.
- Layer the remaining cheese on top.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Lightly butter the top of the bagel and place it on top.
- Carefully add it to the heated pan. As the cheese melts, press down with a spatula to help bind it together.
- Flip it over after a couple of mins.
- Once you see the cheese is melting, remove the bagel from the pan.
When I’m craving grilled cheese, what I make for my husband and I is an updated version of a cheese sandwich I was introduced too while studying in the UK. Named, ‘The Cheese & Chutney,’ by layering crispy apple, smoked cheddar, mango chutney and carmelized onions, it’s the perfect grilled sandwich. By choosing Dempster’s 12 Grain bread, the extra boost of protein and whole grains, makes it a complete meal perfect to eat anytime of the year.
‘The Cheese & Chutney’
What you need:
- Our Dempster’s 12 Grain Bread
- Sliced smoked cheddar
- 1/4 of caramelized onions
- A teaspoon of mango chutney
- 4 – 5 slices of apple
- A pat of butter
- A pinch of salt
- Cooking spray
- Spray the cooking spray in your frying pan. Drop a small bit of butter in the center of the pan and put it over medium heat. While the pan is heating up, lightly butter one side of each of the pieces of bread.
- With the buttered side down, spread the mango chutney over the bread. Next layer your carmelized onions, followed by the cheese, a pinch of salt and apple slices.
- Place the second piece of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Gently place it in the heated pan.
- Let it heat up. Flip it over after a couple of minutes.
- Use the spatula to make sure all the ingredients have melted together.
- Remove it from the pan and enjoy!
I’m excited to announce that one reader is going to win a $150 gift card to use towards the ingredients to begin their own #breadventure! Open to all residents of Canada, excluding Quebec. The winner will be chosen by random. The draw will happen on April 26th, 2017.
To enter, share your grilled cheese #breadventure here or on social with me and make sure to use the hashtag #breadventure.
Good luck! I can’t wait to see all the delicious grilled cheese creations you dream up.
#Breadventure #NationalGrilledCheeseDay #ad
This post is sponsored by Dempster’s. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.